Many of us look for good deals before we pull out our wallets, especially in times like this when prices seem to rise daily. Shopping for the best price on gas, groceries, and other items we purchase frequently makes complete sense. But putting cost first when you choose a plastic surgeon to treat man boobs? That doesn’t make a lot of sense to us.
A Word about Fees
To some extent, we understand the urge to shop around. Unlike other times people go under the knife–say, for an emergency appendectomy or heart surgery–male breast reduction is elective. Meaning it’s not necessary for good health (unless you’re thinking of mental health, that is!). Since man boobs won’t kill you, the cost of surgery can seem like a basic decision point in pulling the trigger in the first place.
But hear this: if your man boobs bother you enough to consider treatment, the cost of gynecomastia surgery should not dictate your choice of doctor. You want your procedure done right the first time, and many factors are key to making that happen. The list includes:
- The type of anesthesia used
- The approach to removing unwanted tissue
- Your surgeon’s experience with moobs
- The surgical team
- The facility
Saving money typically means cutting corners in these areas.
Man Boob Surgery Cost Factors
Potential cost savings can be had through:
- Local anesthesia: Surgeons can lower the cost of the procedure by proposing local anesthesia only, which typically results in a very uncomfortable experience for the patient. Having surgery while awake is not usually pleasant, but more important is the fact that local anesthesia simply can’t hide all the discomfort of liposuction. Guys end up squirming on the table, and the doctor can’t provide his or her best care. Many of our gynecomastia revision patients originally had local anesthesia only.
Most often our choice of anesthesia is twilight sedation, also called IV sedation. Patients receive both local pain control and gentle medication through an IV that keeps them completely–but lightly–asleep, waking with no “hangover.” The approach requires a highly trained, talented anesthesiologist working hand-in-hand with the plastic surgeon. This level of care makes a huge difference during immediate recovery and with overall results.
- Gland or fat only: Some cosmetic surgeons may feel a patient can be treated with liposuction only, and some identify patients they think may need gland excision only. Very experienced man boob surgeons know this isn’t the case.
Liposuction may seem like the solution for fatty moobs, but excess fat triggers gland growth that needs to be addressed as well. Liposuction without gland removal leaves tissue behind. For some very lean patients, gland removal is indeed the way to get rid of puffy nipples or other minor cases of moobs. But careful manipulation of fat and skin is also required for even results.
Gynecomastia revision candidates who’ve undergone a one-dimensional technique come to us with uneven results–craters, valleys, puckers, and bumps that can have their chest looking worse than before surgery. We invented our own patented instruments to allow us to handle fat, breast gland, and skin at the same time, ensuring we can re-sculpt any tissue we encounter and deliver smooth, natural looking contours.
- Going abroad for surgery: Traveling outside the United States can be tempting for patients as well. There are a variety of countries where surgery can be had at a price lower than here in the U.S. The fact is, despite research most guys do, it is difficult to truly understand the credentials and certifications of foreign doctors. Not to mention, it is next to impossible to evaluate the cleanliness of the surgical facility and the technology on hand from afar.
Many of us have had experience traveling when we’re not at our best. It’s safe to say that if you’re feeling “off” in the least, close to home is the best place to be. And it’s highly advantageous if you should encounter any post-surgical challenge–excess swelling, a hematoma, or just a small worry. Worse, if you suffer a major problem with a procedure you had in another country, it can be next to impossible to pursue a solution.
Working with Us
Patients who choose to have man boob surgery with us benefit from our 35 years in practice and 5,000+ gynecomastia surgeries. There is absolutely nothing we haven’t seen or treated successfully. That’s a level of experience that’s difficult to find elsewhere, if not impossible.
The surgical team we have assembled and the facility we operate in are top notch as well. Those are the factors that determine our fees.
The Bottom Line
Choosing a highly experienced gynecomastia surgeon and an outstanding practice is worthwhile in the long run. Your risk of needing gynecomastia revision surgery will be greatly reduced. To quote a tried and true phrase, “You can pay me now or pay me later.”
After dealing with the headaches and frustrations that come along with a case of man boobs, you deserve to be pleased with the outcome with no reservations and regrets. Whether your situation is large, pendulous breasts or small puffy nipples (which are just as challenging to treat, by the way), you can be assured that in our practice, you will receive the best gynecomastia surgery possible–100% of our effort and attention.
Fill out our online contact form and let’s talk.
– – – – – – – – – – –