It seems quite logical to think that if you have gynecomastia, dropping some pounds will improve the appearance of your chest. Unfortunately the reverse tends to be true. While losing weight should help shrink the size your chest along with other parts of your body, it’s also very possible that your man boobs may look WORSE after weight loss.
Here are three reasons why losing weight is not the answer for most guys with moobs.
1. As most men with gynecomastia know, man boobs contain both breast gland and fat. Even if you could lose every ounce of extra fat, the actual breast tissue will be left behind. With substantial weight loss you may be thinner with smaller breasts that look more prominent than ever before.
2. Just as women tend to gain weight first and lose weight last around their hips and thighs, men tend to gain and retain weight around the chest and abdomen. There’s no such thing as “spot reducing,” meaning there’s no way to aim a weight loss strategy at your chest. You may be able to drop a few or many pounds and still find the size of your man boobs relatively unaffected.
3. Even if your breasts shrink substantially with weight loss, their appearance may be marred by features such as:
It’s a real possibility that the appearance of your chest may bother you more after weight loss than beforehand, depending on a variety of factors including your goals.
Now that we have given you three reasons why losing weight may not have the impact you hope for on your gynecomastia, here are three reasons to lose the weight anyway:
1. Your health. Enough said!
2. Male breast reduction surgery. The skilled hands of a very experienced gynecomastia surgeon can absolutely eliminate your man boobs, remove extra skin and re-position nipples if required, all in a safe procedure with a reasonable recovery process. Do lots of research, then arrange a couple of consultations to see if gynecomastia surgery might be a good choice for you.
3. Improved quality of life. Even if you determine male breast reduction is not an option, life will be substantially better if you can achieve and maintain a healthy weight. To deal with any traces of man boobs that remain, you can purchase compression vests and shirts to help you look and feel better in clothing.
To connect with others like you for conversation, support and references, visit gynecomastia.org. If you’d like to get professional input from us, fill out our short contact form or call 561-367-9101.
Dr. Elliot William Jacobs is a board-certified aesthetic plastic surgeon who specializes in FTM top surgery, gynecomastia surgery, revision gynecomastia surgery and male breast reduction. He is a native of New York and has over 40 years of experience in his field. Dr. Jacobs is a highly respected and sought-after surgeon who is known for his skill, experience, and compassion. Whether you are interested in gynecomastia for the first time, or are looking to correct a gynecomastia you aren’t happy with, Dr. Jacobs can deliver amazing results.
DR. ELLIOT JACOBS M.D., F.A.C.S., F.I.C.S
Reach out to Dr. Jacobs today to schedule your consultation!