“Realistic expectations” is a concept every patient should hear about from their plastic surgeon. In our practice, we make sure we discuss the factors that affect results with patients who consult us about gynecomastia in New York so each one knows what they can and can’t do to help shape their post-op body.
Here are the top variables that can impact the outcome of male breast reduction:
- Post-op instructions: The more closely you adhere to your plastic surgeon’s post-op instructions, the more smoothly the healing process will go and the better your results are likely to be. It’s important to pay attention to every detail, but here are some of the most critical instructions:
- – Do not smoke. We can’t stress enough how detrimental smoking can be to healing. The body repairs itself after surgery by relying on a healthy blood supply, and nicotine restricts the flow of blood to the tissues. Need we say more?
- – Eat healthy foods. Now more than ever your body needs good nutrition. Eat a balanced diet including lots of protein and vegetables, and go easy on empty calories.
- – Limit activity to reduce swelling. Though it may be a challenge to lay low, you need to know that raising your blood pressure will exacerbate swelling. Each additional ounce of fluid produced means that much longer to get to your final results.
- – Wear your compression garment. Not only will compression help support your tissues, it will also help limit swelling.
- Scar tissue: Scar tissue is a necessary component of healing from any trauma, and its formation is somewhat unpredictable. It begins within a few days of surgery and lasts about one to three months. The body will break down some of it, but some will remain with you. Listen to your plastic surgeon about scar tissue. He or she may advise light massage, and if treatment is needed a cortisone injection may help.
- Mother Nature: Neither patient nor surgeon can control Mother Nature. To a certain extent, the healing process is unpredictable no matter what. The best thing to do during your recovery, along with listening carefully to your plastic surgeon, is to relax. One thing is certain-stress doesn’t help!
When patients meet with us about gynecomastia in New York, we make sure they understand that their results may range from good to superior-in some cases, even close to “perfect” And we show dozens of sets of before and after gynecomastia photos so each man can get an idea of the range of outcomes possible. However, even with the best of surgery and healing, results may not satisfy someone who will accept nothing less than a 100% perfect result – this is where a discussion of realistic outcomes is absolutely necessary. Obviously, no surgeon can issue a guarantee or provide a 100% perfect result on 100% of patients.
If you are looking to achieve normal, masculine chest contours, and you hope to look “much better” than before male breast reduction surgery, you have every reason to be confident in the hands of a highly experienced, board certified plastic surgeon. We would love to tell you more in person or in a phone consultation. You can reach us online or at 561-367-9101.
Photo by elenagorg, available through stockxchg.com